Typically found at Camps, Posts, or Stations, station hospitals provided generalized medical and surgical treatment to local personnel, and the station hospital at Camp Howze was no different. The Station Hospital offered a variety of medical and non-medical services. A dental and ophthalmology clinic kept the teeth and eyes of army soldiers healthy; onsite barracks for the medical staff, three operating rooms, an ambulatory service, and a pharmacy. Non-medical services included a Post Exchange and a Red Cross Center. The quick responding ambulatory service shuttled injured service members or their family members to the station hospital. In addition to emergencies, the ambulatory men transported food between the quartermaster warehouses and the four hospital mess halls, moved medical supplies between medical units on camp, and transferred mail to and from the camp post office. The full-service pharmacy only dispensed freshly prepared medications by army-trained pharmacists. The Red Cross Center provided sleeping quarters for families wishing to remain to close to critically ill or wounded soldiers, a lounge for entertaining friends and families, and entertainment and activities ranging from 16mm films, badminton, bingo, and other games. The Post Exchanged provided personal necessities such as toiletries and sodas. The Station Hospital was chosen for penicillin research and eventually cited for its exemplary work.
Like all military installations at the time, Camp Howze enforced the government's policy of segregation. African American soldiers were not permitted to mingle with other soldiers, and the few services provided to them, a Post Exchange, barracks, and service club, were limited in scale and quality.
With origins in the American Revolution, and authorized by the Continental Congress, the Quartermaster Corps was formed to provide logistical support for the Army. Over the years, the duties of the Quartermaster Corps have evolved. Preceding the World Wars, the primary role of the Quartermaster Corps was to purchase and transport goods to field depots. After World War I and continuing into World War II, the Quartermaster Corps began training its units to perform various services on and off the battlefield. In addition, logistical support expanded to include food services, laundry, petroleum and water supply, mortuary services, and port operations. During World War II, the Quartermaster Corps played an essential role in keeping soldiers equipped and well-fed. Three square meals cost about 62 cents a day, totaling about $226.30 a year. The initial costs for supplying and dressing soldiers began at $182.54, with maintenance during the first year totaling $92.22.
Veterinary soldiers were assigned to inspect all foods of animal origins for their class, type, grade, and sanitation. Items such eggs, milk, cheese, butter, ice cream, meats, lard, poultry, and fish were inspected at delivery and reinspected when distributed to various units. While the rejection rates were low, if a spoiled item was discovered the entire shipment was thrown out. The temperature of cold storage units ranged between 32 to 50 degrees.
Considered one of the largest plants of its kind, the Camp Howze Laundy facility contained three large steam boilers whose temperatures topped out at 130 degrees. The boilers were gas-fed, stood twenty feet tall, and maintained 110 pounds of steam pressure. Typically staffed by military wives and other civilians, the laundry facility employed approximately 300 people. Laundry services cost $1.50 per month per soldier and included washing, folding, button replacement, and minor repairs.
Gainesville Army Air Field or Woodruff Field construction began on July 2, 1942. The land, approximately 1513.12 acres, three miles west of Gainesville, was acquired through federal proceedings and cost between three to four million dollars to build. The airfield contained four runways measuring 4,500 feet by 150 feet. The army airfield trained multiple combat and reconnaissance units. In February of 1947, the army declared the airfield a surplus. In August of that same year, the City of Gainesville acquired the airport. The city council later approved a contract with Osbourne Aviation to operate the field.
Today, known as Gainesville Municipal Airport (GLE), the former World War II airfield remains fully operational and open to the public. The planes kept in residence include 34 single engines, five multi-engine, three jets, and three helicopters.